Donate To Support!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

UnOccupied Anger.

I am going to lead off by recommending reading this article from the "Freakonomics Blog" Dear Occupy Wall Street: Are You Sure You're in the Right Place? Why you might ask am I routing you to another blog. Simply because it is a well thought out and written post about what the OWS movement say's they are mad at. Or at least what I have heard they are mad at, or what some of them are mad at while other are slightly upset with these elements, disappointed in others and enraged by something completely unrelated.


Does that make sense to you? Well if it does there is a chance you are occupying your local city/ township. As I have gripped before I feel as though I am an under employed and under appreciated person. If I haven't said it before now I have and I'm putting that on my next set of business cards. I am working towards a degree in a world where you need a college degree to drive a cab or be a night manager at a fast food restaurant. I am working on the degree for that reason. In the United States some many people have college degrees that I can no long get a style of job I had when I was 18. Now isn't that a mind freak?

At first I was going to ask the question of what are the people at Occupy Wall Street so mad about. Corporate greed is to simple of an answer for me. Since some of the demand I have heard and read about from the OWS folks are just as greedy. Yet during the writing of this post up to here I changed my mind. I'm no long worried about why they're mad. I understand some of them feel slighted by the system, let down by the media and betrayed by the business they helped make rich. I get that they feel that congress and even the President have let them down. (I'm not using name since Presidents have been letting the populous down since Truman. Who is my boy.)

Before I project anymore on these people miles away from me I have to ask why aren't I as angry? Did I just get that jilted and jaded sooner then them? Or worse yet and I to old to understand this level of youthful bitterness now? Maybe, I prefer to rationalize that maybe I'm not that mad because I am working to hard to be that angry. I don't want to imply that I'm busier then those who are camping in the park in an effort to show those fat cats what is what by their lack of effort. Instead I'd prefer to imply that even though things are hard and work is tough to come by I'm still trying. I still am looking for work, I am still working, I am back in school and I am looking into how to start a small business or two. Also my wife and I are expecting our first child so the economic pressure cooker just got turned up.

I'm still not angry and wall street. I how ever have been against the idea of such large corporations and banks becoming as large as they have. So I for years I have been doing what some people from Occupy Chicago have recommended. I will pass this along and encourage you to do the same. I try to shop locally, I avoid Wal-Mart as much as I can. Once I get some money coming in I'm going to use local banks and credit unions.

There are a few other ways but I'll harp on that another day. I know people out there are mad and angry and sitting around is their way of expressing that. I'm angry but I'm moving forward. When the world comes back and life starts to settle again I want to be better off then when this started. I'm afraid unlike our parents the booms, that a protest like this won't leap frog us forward.

-JN