Donate To Support!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Fit Dad: Free Failing

Second post and second week of my trek to become a fit father. Or at least a healthy one. Not sure who, how or what defines a fit parent. Effort and love are important but this isn't a post is not about to discuss those surface level questions of parenting. This post is going to be about the importance of failing while trying to get back into shape or healthy.


I'm not an expert about anything.
Doubt it keep reading.
Failing is important to getting fit? Do you mean in muscle failure right? Well I'm not a certified anything. And I mean that. I'm not a personal trainer or anything so consult a real professional before you take part in anything I do, say or use as illustrations. Okay?  Well back to failure.

In my humble opinion it is important to fail while working towards something. It helps you know whether it's really important or not. Wealth and health are two large social gauges that people often wish they could change but rarely due. Over the years of helping people purchase and invest in Real Estate I came to realize it's because when the failed at something it threw them horribly of track.

Failures range from small to extra large with a side of whip cream covered french fries. Failures of that size that is a pause and try to survive sized failure. I am going to use this week as an example of a small failure. This week I failed in my quest to be fit and healthy. Starting tomorrow I am going to get back on track though. First some exposition.

Prior to July I was working on regularly and was down 4 pants sizes and starting to look more square then gooey round. Then something in the month of July threw me off track. Maybe it was the heat wave and my house only being able to get down to 85. It was still close to 30 coolers in my house then outside. What ever the reason real or made up I let my discipline slide. I let it go to the point where when I started to back slide I felt so bad about it that I waited till I was back to where I was 2 years ago.
Danger: Backsliding can occur randomly.

I am sure like many this is a very familiar story. Well this week I noticed that I worked out/ ran as much as I did that faithful week in July. (See keeping track of yourself has hidden benefits). So I have the choice to accept that I failed this week and try again or to just give in. I'm not going to give in. This little hic up which has occurred and will occur again, shouldn't derail all my work. Why? Because getting in shape even if I don't look like a body builder is important to my current health and future Joe will look back and thank me. Future Joe you're welcome.

This leads me to remind you that failure can be good if you let it be. If you're on a budget and you over spend. Well then get back on track next week and then try to cut back a little bit the second week to help make up for it. Took a week off from training for that 5K you're wife signed you up for. Well next week start power walking / jogging again. Life is hard and success is earned. That's why it's called success. So if you fail accept it, admit it and then over come it. Easier said then done, but the alternative is to accept it wallow in it and give up. Which sounds better?

-JN