Donate To Support!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Fit Dad: Quitting Time

Let them eat cake! Hell I want to eat some cake and I do. There is a reason that I am almost always attempting a fresh rounds of exercise. I always kid myself and say that next week I will be better then this week. That has not be true on any aspect of my life. Well I actually have gotten better and more frequent with cleaning. I think I'm getting addicted to the fumes so that is starting to border on the extra unhealthy. I am not a certified anything. So in the name of your God and or science please do your own due diligence. BUT based on the many articles and now books that I am ingesting about nutrition along with fitness. The talk of cheat day is coming up more an more.



I agree a cheat day is a good concept. The credit card is also a good concept. Both are design to help ease the pressure temporarily to then give you a chance to take care of it when you can. With credit cards they were intended to be payed off every month. No floating/ revolving balances, that is no longer the case. The cheat day is designed to make it so you have something to work towards almost a reward for eating foods you barely like 6 days a week. Personally I have gone WAY to far with the cheat idea and just went to town on food. I am a member of keeping your plate clean clue on my cheat days. I also have a credit card(s) that I have keep a balance on. Eh, I'm weak.

OR I just need to re-frame the way in which I look at this "cheat day" and as for my credit cards... well that's a bag of issues I just don't want to talk about yet. May be over lunch long as your buying. The reason I feel as though there should be a re-framing of the "cheat day" is because it has been talked about either a reward or a release value because junk food is addictive. You doubt me? What type of sugary food do you eat on a regular basis? Stop eating it as of right now and count how often you get a craving or almost break down and eat it.  Some of you have iron wills or have already started the phase out of crap food. I am in the process of that too.

My breakfast foods are always healthy. Other then every now and then making real bacon. Turkey bacon is.... is healthy and is no the worst thing ever. Real bacon how ever is great. Much like most forms of red fatty meat. My breakfast foods are healthy no cereal anymore unless it has the words granola or no artificial tree bark flavoring added. Lunch and dinner I'll go 50/50 on. Some days a grilled cheese or a Mexican grilled cheese is just easier then tuna with freshly minced veggies. Same with dinner.

If you've read the same type and amount of article as I have. You are wondering snacks what are those like? Well apples, veggies and protein shakes. UNLESS there is a box of Goldfish hanging out. Then its on like donkey kong.  Where my bandwagon really gets derailed and causes the snowball is candy and soda pop.  There is a long standing credit card history of how I would buy what is needed with Soda pop and a candy bar. It was like that almost every where I went if they sold it.

I am only sub-human after all. I have quite smoking, drinking, no drugs, and I'm a faithful husband so all I have as an outlet is soda pop and candy. So I am trying to phase that out. Just kick the habits. I'm pretty sure the day when I decided to cold turkey soda pop I'll be curled up in the fetal position mumbling about babies on the ceiling. It will not be pretty but I'll be healthier for it. Maybe happier in the long run too.

I say all this because even though a cheat day is great in concept just remember its called a "cheat" because you didn't earn it. I cheated my way back up to a slight belly and now I'm trying to work it back off. The amount of sodium, sugar, and other items in junk food gives me the same type of happy feelings nicotine did. Standing outside holding a snickers doesn't look as cool as holding a cigarette either. I'm not endorsing smoking by the way. It was just something that gave me happiness and will be a rant for another day. The ending point to this rant is even though I'm far from perfect I realize that since 90% of fitness is based on what I eat. I just need to quite eating crap food, and eating a lot of it too. The hardest thing to do is just cut it out but anything worth having is hard. So long as I can be a better man starting tomorrow I'm going to cut out 1 piece of crap food. I think it'll be candy. Good bye happy food that makes me sad later.... it's been... *sniff* fun.

-JN